Presbyterianism began in Marlborough in 1857 when the first Minister, Rev Thomas D Nicholson arrived from Nelson as a widower with a young family. Dr Thomas Renwick, a former Nelson parishioner of Rev Nicholson, generously gifted a house and sufficient land to Rev Nicholson on which to build a church and village school. Rev Nicholson settled in Renwick in the modest house, which he named ‘The Tower’ at what is now 16A Rouse Hill Street. At that time, land in the Renwick area was better-drained than nearby The Beaver (subsequently named Blenheim). Renwick was first seen as being the region’s major town, but this did not eventuate.
The new Wairau Presbyterian Church’s office-bearers first met on 3 February 1858 at ‘The Tower’ and the first Presbyterian Church in Marlborough was opened for worship by the Rev T D Nicholson on 20 February 1859. This historic church (on the left in the photo) still stands today on the corner of Havelock and Nicholson Streets, Renwick (having been moved along Havelock Street twice in the past.
From 1859, the river port of Blenheim became prominent as the major settlement in the newly proclaimed Province of Marlborough and it was soon the main locale for Presbyterians and for Rev Nicholson’s successors.
After building a manse, the Blenheim Presbyterian congregation opened their first church in 1858, naming it after St Andrew, sited in Russell Terrace very close to the Omaka River (that section known today at the Taylor River). Being so close to the river, which often flooded, meant the church was somewhat a ‘river church’.
Elsewhere in Marlborough at this time, a newer Presbyterian church (since demolished) had been opened in Renwick as well as the first churches for the Awatere Valley, Kaikoura and Picton.
Following World War II, it was agreed by members of Session at St Andrews to extend its work to the Redwoodtown area where new housing was being developed. Consequently, a Sunday School commenced in Redwoodtown School on 6 February 1949, under Mr Ian Todd, the first Superintendent. A few months later, Ian Todd moved to Rangiora and Mr Jack Liley succeeded him. The Minister of St Andrews was Rev Gordon Taylor and monthly family services were begun initially in the Redwoodtown School room, but later in the Redwoodtown Hall (behind what is now the south side of the shopping centre).
Sometime later, the small congregation decided to have a home of their own, beginning with the building of a Sunday School once a section of land was vested in the church. This land on the eastern corner of Riley Cresent and Alabama Road was donated by the McKay Estate. Construction of the first building began in February 1952 – by T H Barnes & Co and completed in late 1954. This first building, (on the southern end the property) was initially used on Sundays as a Church, then during the week for youth activities including both Girls’ Brigade and Boys’ Brigade. At this time, part of the building was sited in the Marlborough County and the rest in the Blenheim Borough!
The first Minister for Wairau Parish, Rev Robert S Miller, was inducted in February 1958 and he, along with his wife Margaret, gave stirling service until 1966 when they departed for Australia.
With increasing numbers of adults and children involved, it soon became apparent that a larger hall was needed and this was eventually realised over the period of 1978/79.
Some years before the large hall was built, a solid brick church (named St Ninians) was constructed across the road, with the foundation stone being laid on 25 April 1965 by Peter Burgess of Wellington (the first Session Clerk of the Parish).
The building was opened with a special ceremony in February 1966 when it was opened by the Moderator of the Nelson/Marlborough Presbytery, the Rev Gordon Roe of Kaikoura.
As well as the hub of St Ninians, a ‘Home Mission Station’ had been established, with services at Renwick (every Sunday morning before the St Ninians service); with Sunday afternoon services at Hillersden (St David’s Church) alternating with Okaramio, Waihopai, and the Wairau Hospital Chapel. A Sunday evening service was also held at St Ninians.